The Senior Engineer will primarily be responsible for operational support and maintenance of the Linux server estate which includes, but is not limited to, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. In addition, there is a requirement to support/interact with a large Microsoft Windows Server estate and so previous cross platform experience is desirable. Experience of HP server hardware and virtual server (VMware) is required. IBM & Dell server hardware experience is desirable. The goal of this position is to deliver operational support working regionally, as well as part of a global team, supporting data centers in UK & EMEA, and the Asia Pacific region.
As a Senior Engineer you will be providing general direction to the wider team, providing SME input where required, and acting independently to provide operational support and remediation of the server environment.
- Delivers incident resolution and problem management to the server estate
- Maintains the servers estate to a known, consistent standard
- Undertakes administrative and BAU work on behalf of technical and business teams
- Performs remediation on computer hardware, software, and firmware, or makes changes to systems management software, to improve performance and eliminate problems
- Reviews, maintains and tests upgrades to the vendor software used for the support of the servers
- Identifies, develops and implements new and expanded support services or, performance/tuning recommendations and changes in the workload mix, to meet user business requirements and ensure availability of resources.
- Adherence to ITIL standards and processes
- There will be occasions when the candidate will be required to work unsocial hours as overtime. The candidate will also be part of an out-of-hours on-call rotation.
Job Requirements & Qualifications
- Advanced support and troubleshooting skills with Linux operating systems (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux) essential
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server operating systems (Windows 2003, 2008, 2012) desirable
- Advanced Linux scripting (bash/sh/ksh) skills essential. Perl and/or Python experience desirable
- Working knowledge of server virtualization (VMware ESXi) preferable
- Experience supporting remote locations is preferable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with internal/external customers, vendors and senior management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of ITIL processes required. ITIL foundation desirable.
- Strong analytical skills