Next is a UK based retailer offering exciting, beautifully designed, excellent quality clothing, footwear, accessories and home products. Next distributes through three main channels: Next Retail, a chain of more than 500 stores in the UK and Eire, the Next Directory, a home shopping catalogue and website with more than 2 million active customers, and Next International, with more than 180 stores and growing website capability outside the UK.
Summary of Role:
The successful candidate will perform a mixture of development and operational activities supporting Next’s IT environment, predominately based at Next’s Head Office in Leicester but occasionally requiring work in and around other UK based sites.
Please note that the interview process will consist of a technical test and interview(s).
- The primary responsibility of the role includes but is not limited to development activities including delivery of server, storage and infrastructure platforms and solutions that meet Next’s business requirements.
- You will use physical and virtualised server platforms, deploying core Microsoft/Internet services using scripted/automated builds.
- You will also be required to support 3rd line operations teams, including proactive monitoring, incident management and resolution, change management, problem management, request management, disaster recovery, upgrades to existing Windows based servers and systems, implementing and checking backups, anti-virus deployment and monitoring, auditing of environment and maintaining environmental records of Next’s IT infrastructure.
- In addition the successful candidate will take part in a weekly callout rota. Overtime and some shift changes are expected as many systems can only be installed or changed outside of normal business hours. Extended cover will be required to cover peaks periods.
Criteria – Essential:
- IT experience working in a large corporate environment.
- Flexibility to cover unsociable hours and peak periods at short notice.
- Experience using Microsoft technologies in the server and application arenas.
- Proven knowledge and use of the following technologies:-
- Windows 2003/2008/2012 Server
- Microsoft clustering technologies
- VMWare vSphere v5
- Microsoft Active Directory/DNS
- SAN Technologies
- Microsoft Systems Centre Operations Manager (SCOM)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010/2013
- Microsoft Systems Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Microsoft IIS 6/7
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012
- Citrix XenApp/Netscaler
- Altiris Deployment Services
- PowerShell Scripting and/or other programming experience
- Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010
- Capacity Planning
- HP/Dell Server Hardware
- Security Best Practices
- Ability to lead and project manage the delivery of large and critical platform solutions. Ability to manage and mentor other team members
- Demonstrate excellent problem resolution skills.
- Have the ability to work with other technical teams to understand both the business requirements and functional impact.
- Self motivating and able to identify and define development requirements.
- Be able to work on your own initiative and prioritise in a fast moving environment.
- Work well as a member of a team.
- Flexible to overtime requests.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written pitched to the appropriate level.
- The ability to convey a technical solution to senior management in a clear and concise manner.
- Must adhere to and promote team standards (including documentation).
- Understand and operate change management.
- Produce documentation to a high standard and must be proactive in knowledge transfer to other teams.
- Provide regular reporting to senior management team. Keep management team informed of major outages / issues and resolutions.
- Industry recognised qualifications such as MCP, MCSE advantageous.
- Clean driving license and access to own transport
A Little About Us:
You know Next, but did you know we’re a FTSE-100 retail company employing over 40,000 people across the UK and Eire. We’re the UK’s 2nd largest fashion and Homewares retailer and for Kidswear we’re the market leader. At the last count we have over 550 stores, plus the Next Directory and it’s now possible to buy on-line from over 55 countries around the world! So we’ve gone global!
In addition to a competitive salary the benefits shown below are typically offered for a job at this level. The exact benefits an individual is entitled to will vary depending on their competency level and/or contract type, therefore some or all of the benefits may not apply.
- Bonus Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Life Assurance
- On-site Nursery
- Pension Scheme
- ShareSave Scheme
- Staff Discount